Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Methi-Mutter-Malai


The first time I tasted this dish was at a friend's place and it was just unbelievably good! It has the signature methi taste in a rich, creamy gravy, with a hint of cinnamon and cardamom. I got the recipe from my friend and adapted it to suit my cooking style.


Ingredients:


1 bunch of fresh methi leaves, coarsely chopped
1 cup peas (I used frozen)
1 green chilli, chopped
half a cup of unsalted cashew nuts, ground to a coarse powder
half a cup of heavy cream
1 cup or so of either milk or water
2 pieces of moti elaichi
garam masala
red chilli powder
haldi
salt
oil

1. Heat oil in a karahi and add the chopped methi. Saute for about 5 mins till it gets fragrant.
2. Add the peas and the chopped green chillis to it and saute for 2 more minutes.
3. Add the moti elaichi, a pinch of garam masala, red chilli powder (if desired), a pinch of haldi and salt.
4. Add the heavy cream and stir for a few minutes on low heat. If the gravy is too thick, add some milk or water. Cook for about 5-6 mins, till the peas are cooked.

I served this with garma garam home made tandoori rotis and it was a big hit!








No comments: