Monday, February 11, 2008

All Pickled Out...

I love Gajar-Gobhi-Shalgam pickle. Everytime winter rolls around, this is what I crave and this is one pickle that is very hard to find bottled because of its short shelf life, I guess. A couple of weeks back, I went to my local Indian grocery store and saw a small plastic container of this pickle. Immediately, it went in my cart. I couldnt wait till dinner that night to try it out. But sadly, I was let down because the pickle had too much sugar and too much of black pepper.


So, I had no other alternative but to make it myself! So I asked my Mammaji for a recipe and I got a nicely written, detailed recipe within 2 hours. I got all the ingredients and I wanted to do this right, so this last weekend, I lovingly washed and sundried my brand new glass container.....




......I chopped up the carrots, turnips and cauliflower, washed in hot, hot water and dried it in the sun.........


..........and proceeded to make the pickle. It has been basking in the sun for two days now. It occupies a place of honor in the backyard in the morning and then, I religiously move it to the front porch in the afternoon where it gets drenched in the afternoon rays of the sun. I am going to taste it tomorrow night, so you'll have to wait for the final verdict!




No comments: